Tuesday, August 12, 2014

THAT BEAST CALLED FITNESS

I'm in a profession where fitness & good looks hold much weightage, though nothing is more paramount than the obvious presence of that elusive creature called talent, whether inbred or cultivated. In a city like Mumbai, where every second person is looking for that one (or maybe two, three, four) big break(s) in television, film, radio or performing arts, one is often surrounded by well-chiselled (and sometimes way too plastic) bodies (and personalities). I could never have fathomed that muscles were ever meant to attain that Greek God-ish proportions, where biceps are bigger than a human head or that fitness automatically paved the way to good looks & a natural sense of well-being. It is but natural to want to be better equipped out of that desire or of competition. It requires immense dedication, focus & a farewell-to-arms to plenty of distractions. Back in Dental school, the frenzied preparations of my peers would literally jolt me into working harder , and the same continues today when it comes to the various things that I do. As a Dentist-to-be, I handled academics, practicals as well as internal politics without falling by the wayside. It was mentally & physically demanding and I conquered them all! But fitness? Ah.. Now that is the arch nemesis in my story.

Don't get me wrong. I feel AWESOME after a good workout, some Yoga, a dance routine or a good ol' jog! The body structure feels good, clothes fall better on you, your skin & hair become radiant, stamina levels for shoot & live performances race up: I could go on & on. And as cliched & oft-heard as it sounds, the pain is always worth it (well, almost always). But I have ditschy lovers who refuse to let me go - FOOD & SLEEP! Theirs is the leash from a delectable hell that refuses to let me fly.

It's irony aplenty; everytime I look at a fit body I don't go "Damn! I gotta work harder to be like that". Instead, I say "Damn! That's one (chomp chomp) helluva task (chomp chomp chomp). Gotta get there someday (glug glug glug burp!!!)"

Sigh! I'll never get there, will I?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:33 PM

    That beast called fitness can only be tamed with time, perseverance, strong will power and determination.

    It is a long term investment which takes time to mature with results. Short term gains do not last long.

    There is no free lunch in this world. So the saying goes that: when there is a will, there is a way.

    Go for it Chang. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete